Studies show that STDs are still being spread at an alarming rate all over the world. But how common are STDs in the US?
How Common are STDs in the US?
- There are 20 million new STDs each year.
- There are 110 million STDs in total among men and women.
- About 50.5 million of infections are in men.
- About 59.5 million are in women.
- 50% of new infections occur in people aged 15-24.
- More than half of all people in the US will have an STD in their lifetime.
- 1 in 2 sexualy active people will have contracted an STD by age 25.
- 1 in 20 people will get infected with HBV at some point in their lives.
- An estimated 1 in 5 Americans have genital herpes and up to 90% are unaware that they have herpes.
Most Common STDS
- HPV – more than 14 million new cases each year.
- Chlamydia – 3 million new cases each year.
- Trichomoniasis – more than 1 million new cases each year.
- Gonorrhea – more than 800,000 new cases each year.
- Genital Herpes – nearly 800,000 new cases each year.
- Syphilis – approximately 55,000 new cases each year.
- HIV – more than 41,000 each year.
- HBV – 19,000 new cases each year.
Top 5 States With the Least STD Incidents
- West Virginia
Top 5 States with the Highest STD Incidents
- North Carolina
- New York
Top 10 Cities With The Most STD Incidents In the US
- Austin, TX
- San Francisco, CA
- San Antonio, TX
- Miami, FL
- New York City, NY
- Philadelphia, PA
- Atlanta, GA
- Chicago, IL
- Dallas, TX
- Washington, D.C.